Monday, February 2, 2009

Confessions of Motherhood

So, a few years back, summer was on the horizon. Tye was four years. We spent many an afternoon out in the yard playing trucks or getting wet in the sprinkler. I knew this was the year that he would figure out what the ice cream truck was. And we had the most persistent ice cream man ever!

I heard the off-pitch eerie minor version of "Fur Elise" several times a day.

I so dreaded the tantrums that would soon approach as he begged for money to buy ice cream. I could just see it happening.

I didn't think it would be so bad if I was one of those people that always kept cash in her purse. I did not. I used my debit card for every purchase. And although I was not sure, I suspected the ice cream would not be able to run my card.

I sat on the front steps reading a book while Tye and Erika played in the lush green grass in our yard.

Then, I heard it! Here it was. Coming around the corner was ...the ice cream man!

Without much thought, and in all of my desperation I said,"Tye, come here!"

He quickly ran to me.

I pulled him close and looked him in the eye.

"Do you hear that sound?" I asked.

He nodded his head; his eyes were large.

"What is it?" I asked him.

He shook his head.

"That's the ice cream truck."

His little eyes lit up.

"Do you know who drives the ice cream truck?" I said.

"The DEVIL...and when you hear it coming you better get inside the house and hide!"

He ran in the house as quickly as his chubby little four-year-old legs could carry him.

Now, I know this sounds terrible. I was stretched to the max with a job and two kids and a traveling non-existent husband. I was only attempting to make my life a little easier, that's all.

I had forgotten all about this until when last year, a new babysitter was tending the kids just for the day one summer.

When I picked them up I asked how they did.

The babysitter replied, "They did really well, but...I have never seen two kids more afraid of the ice cream man, of all things!"

I dreaded the next few words that were coming out of her mouth.

"Really?" I asked. "That's weird" I said.

"Yes it is. In fact, they told me that you said the devil himself drives the ice cream truck. Isn't that silly?" she asked.

We both just laughed.

"I don't know where they would get an idea like that." I responded.

Isn't life crazy....?

Did it teach me a lesson? No, I don't think so.

How do I know?l

Well just a couple of months ago, I was doing Erika's hair. Out of nowhere, she let out this whiny cry and said, "I am never going to get married and be a mother!"

"Why Erika?" I asked sadly.

"Cause I don't want to grow eyes in the back of my head. Then it will hurt every time I brush my hair." She cried.

Okay, maybe I need to be a little more cautious.

Now, don't you dare sit and judge me! You know you too pull these tricks now and then. The only difference is that I am brave (or dumb) enough to confess.....



.

1 comment: